In the previous post you saw a sampling of some of the shrooms I have seen or collected lately.
Most of the boletes that I collected and started to preserve ended up in the trash. I couldn’t get a good enough confirmation from the seasoned bolete shroomers on the fb bolete shroom groups I now belong to. So, darn it all, but better safe than sorry, Don’t Ya Think?
Anyway, the other day I made this score, Bondarzewia berkleyi. These guys are quite mature, but not completely past the edible stage.
According to wiki – Bondarzewia berkeleyi, commonly known as Berkeley’s polypore, or stump blossoms, is a species of polypore fungus in the family Russulaceae. It is a parasitic species that causes butt rot in oaks and other hardwood trees.
Here’s a link to more info,
So my task, now that I am confident in the identification, is to figure out what to do with them.
Tasting them raw was a mistake. Because these are older they are quite tough and the smell is horrific, like rotting fish. The taste raw is also quite unpleasant, but also really peppery.
So first thing was to clean them up. I ended up taking some of the thinner end sections, slicing them and sautéing them. I then de-glazed with a bit of balsamic. Really tasty.
I think using plain sautéed strips to make fajitas, ragout, bourguignon, etc will work really well.
Oh, I think chunks made into pickle will be interesting too.
Here are some of the inner, really thick pieces, I am poaching them in salted water to see what the texture will become.
I am enjoying this new hobby, I am learning new stuff, good for the brain, I am getting out into the wild woods more, rather than manicured woods trails, and Rubi is getting out more often. Plus we get to eat what I harvest.